Tampa, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: My sister's husband died he was the only one on the title and the loan of the house. She doesn't know what she is to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: She needs to talk to a lawyer who can help her figure out if she inherited the house either because of Oregon's intestacy laws if the husband didn't have a Will or because the Husband did have a Will. If there were no step children by the husband and he didn't have a Will, the intestacy Laws would make the house hers by law. As for the mortgage, in my experience mortgage companies will let the widow of the borrower continue to pay the mortgage. Assuming she figures out that she inherited that house, and she has sufficient funds to pay the mortgage, she should just keep sending in the payments. If she can't afford the mortgage, she needs to figure out her best plan which might be selling the house. Just tell her to talk to a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.