Centreville, VA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Virginia

Q: My daughter recently turned 18 and moved in with me. What do I need to do to stop paying child support payments?

My daughter just turned 18 and recently moved out of her mothers house and asked to live with me. Am i still obligated to pay child support to her mother? If so, what do I need to do to modify support arrangements?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James D. Williams
James D. Williams
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Your child support order from the court should indicate the cut-off time frame for when you can stop paying child support. If the support order says that you pay until she turns 18, then the obligation has ended. If you find the child support order, and it does not have a limit to your daughter turning 18, then I would consider reviewing the Division of Child Support Enforcement's child support modification process. You can submit a request with DCSE, and if they find the circumstances have changed sufficiently, then they will send the court, where the support was ordered, a recommendation to modify the support. If you're modifying a court order, then you may not need an atty if DCSE agrees. Here's the link: https://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/dcse/forms/032-18-0820-04-eng.pdf

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.