Bogota, NJ asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: 2C:33-12A my son got a summons with this code for setting off fireworks the neighbors thought were gun shots.

Should I get a lawyer? If I don't get a lawyer besides the fine is there a major charge on his record he can get?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Generally if no prostitution is involved etc, it is a disorderly persons offense which comes with a criminal record, up to 180 days in jail, fines and probation. Thus yes, I suggest hiring a good lawyer.

Mr. Kenneth Albert Vercammen
Mr. Kenneth Albert Vercammen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Edison, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: 2C :33-12 . Maintaining a nuisance

A person is guilty of maintaining a nuisance when:

a. By conduct either unlawful in itself or unreasonable under all the circumstances, he knowingly or recklessly creates or maintains a condition which endangers the safety or health of a considerable number of persons;

b. He knowingly conducts or maintains any premises, place or resort where persons gather for purposes of engaging in unlawful conduct; or

c. He knowingly conducts or maintains any premises, place or resort as a house of prostitution or as a place where obscene material, as defined in N.J.S. 2C :34-2 and N.J.S. 2C :34-3, is sold, photographed, manufactured, exhibited or otherwise prepared or shown, in violation of N.J.S. 2C :34-2, N.J.S. 2C :34-3, and N.J.S. 2C :34-4.

A person is guilty of a disorderly persons offense if the person is convicted under subsection a. or b. of this section. A person is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree if the person is convicted under subsection c. of this section.

Upon conviction under this section, in addition to the sentence authorized by this code, the court may proceed as set forth in section 2C :33-12.1. Disorderly person criminal offenses- ex Simple Assault, shoplifting & cases in Municipal Court

Jail 2C: 43- 8 jail 6 month maximum

Probation 1-2 years

Community service 180 days maximum

mandatory costs, VCCB and other penalties

Disorderly- fines: 2C: 43- 3 $1,000 Fine maximum

There are many other penalties that the court must impose in criminal cases. There are dozens of other penalties a court can impose, depending on the type of matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.