Bethlehem, PA asked in Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: Where does one need to file for child custody in Puerto Rico?

My cousin and his ex girlfriend had their child about 3 months ago now. She has been extremely stubborn the whole pregnancy and thereafter and has not allowed him to see his child. I've seen text messages and she never responds when he asks to see his son. During this time, they were both living in Florida. My cousin moved back to Puerto Rico after numerous and numerous attempts of trying to see his son. He has tried to go to file for custody in Puerto Rico, however, he was told he needs to file in Florida. Is this correct? Also, if it does need to be done in Florida, is there anyway filing can be done online, and or through a lawyer in Puerto Rico, vice versa with a lawyer in Florida?

Also, he doesn't have much money to even pay for a lawyer, is there any assistance for those with low income to cover the costs?

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. Yes he must file for Custody, visitation and/or any other right related to the Child where ever said child lives. If the Child lives un Florida then the request needs to be made in Florida. Your cousin needs to contact the Florida Bar Association for information on free legal services and where to apply. He can also get informatión about the possibility of filing for custody on line and if that is a viable option. You can call them at 1 850-561-5600.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.