Pleasant Hill, IA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: I pled down to a disordly conduct under the statue 609.72.1. Can I still buy a gun? If not can I get my rights restore

It was originally a Domestic Assault-Misdemeanor-Intentionally Inflicts/Attempts to Inflict Bodily Harm though was dismissed and then pled down to what I previously said in the beginning. I only admitted to Yelling at the victim in court which was part of the plea deal. Does it bar me from owning a gun for life or can I get my rights restored this is in minnesota

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: A person with a 609.72, subd. 1 (3) conviction does not lose their civil rights to firearms in Minnesota. If there is a problem, check the court's records directly to verify that the conviction is for Minnesota Statutes Sec. 609.72, subd. 1 (3) - exactly. If the court conviction record shows only 609.72, subd. 1, some LEOs will interpret the ambiguity against the citizen. I have more on this on my website; or call me with any questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.