Douglasville, GA asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: If custodial parent has a job lost would this be an example of change in circumstances? I am a NCP living out of state.

Can I apply for custody if I am the only parent that can support the kids?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the custodial parent lost his or her job, this may be an exceptional change in circumstances that may require an adjustment to the child support amount. Courts will not take custody from a parent based on a job loss alone. Why did this person lose his or her job? Losing a job doesn't necessarily make you an unfit parent. If you want physical custody of your children, you must prove that the current custodial parent is unfit and that it is in the best interest of the children for you to have primary physical/majority custody. An unfortunate job loss is insufficient!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.