Butler, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I accidentally set off an alarm at a community college, and was stopped by the police. And I'm worried.

I was doing my routine walk around the local community college, and I usually stop inside a building for water and food. And I accidentally set off an alarm because apparently the campus is on lock down for COVID-19. And I was not informed about this, so I went to the campus police. But before I got there a police officer stopped me and asked if I was messing with the doors, I said yes, but I didn't have any bad intentions. We talked and I gave him my information and didn't say what I did was illegal or not. And left me in worry about if they will come to my house and arrest.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan L Hyde
Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Highly dountful. Unless tou left out some facts the most to be worried about would be a summary trespass violation. Summary trespass would come in the mail. You made an admission which they can use against you. If you have a clean record and there are no missing facts a citation is the most likely outcome if any charges are filed. Talk to a local attorney. They should be able to allay your concerns. Even if you are cited, these cases are often resolved without a conviction. Talk to an attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.