Phoenix, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Gaming for Arizona

Q: I live in Arizona. I have 2 non violent felonies(20 years ago). Can I purchase, own or possess a black powder pistol?

2 Lawyer Answers
Stewart Salwin
Stewart Salwin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: When you are convicted of a felony in Arizona, some of your civil liberties will be suspended. You will lose your right to vote, the right to hold public office, the right to serve as a juror, and, yes, the right to possess a gun. A felony conviction may also prevent a person from obtaining business and professional licenses.

However, your civil liberties can be restored. If you have only one Arizona felony conviction that resulted in a loss of civil rights, you will have most of your rights automatically restored upon completion of a term of probation, or receipt of an absolute discharge from imprisonment if you paid all the imposed fines and restitution.

But this does NOT apply to the right to possess a gun. To restore this right, you will need to file an application with the court.

So to answer your question, given the length of time that it appears to have been since your felonies, you probably qualify to file an application to restore your right to possess a weapon. But make sure that you have completed this process, because it is not automatic.

Until you restore your civil right to have a gun, you will be classified under the law as "prohibited possessor" and if you possess a weapon while so classified you can be charged with the crime of Misconduct Involving Weapons, which would be a class 4 felony in this case.

Zachary Divelbiss agrees with this answer

Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Mr. Salwin is absolutely correct in his answer.

I strongly recommend that you or your attorney file the proper paperwork at your soonest convenience. I have personally represented may people who are prohibited possessors because of a prior felony and then they pickup additional charges years later for possession of knives and other non-firearm weapons. The law is very broad about the kind of objects and tools that qualify as weapons, which you as a prohibited possessor are outlawed from possessing or even owning.

If you have any questions or need to hire a lawyer to file the applications on your behalf to restore your gun rights please contact myself or Mr. Salwin as soon as you can. or 602-900-6642

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.