Erie, CO asked in Divorce, Family Law and Sexual Harassment for Colorado

Q: In Colorado, are there any laws to stop derogatory and verbally abusive behavior from an ex?

Communication has been expressly limited to between my ex husband and myself. I have the records available to me for evidence, and he uses TalkingParents for this communication. He takes every opportunity to call me many names, all which have to do with him implying that I have sexual relations with many men on a regular basis. He has used profanity to insult me in most conversations. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I have attempted to get a protection order that relates to communication and harassment, but was told I can only get a protection order if he has threatened bodily harm. Are there no other avenues to stop an ex from constantly harassing and verbally abusing me? This has been going on for about 2.5 years now and I'm exhausted.

2 Lawyer Answers
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If there is a court order limiting communication to TalkingParents, he may be in violation of the court order. If so, you could consider citing him for contempt. You should get a lawyer to help you.

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I agree with the last answer, however if his use of profanity and insults is frequent enough, you may have grounds for a protection order as it can constitute harassment. Although it is easier to obtain a protection order based on physical harm, the statute does provide for emotional forms of harm as well, such as harassment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.