Wichita Falls, TX asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: I lived/worked in Louisiana in 2008. After I left I was told I owed for income tax ...I disputed but never heard back.

Today I got a letter from a collection agency saying I owed $8K and if they didnt hear back they would assume I acknowledged debt as valid. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO

A: Hire a tax attorney.

States often send out amount due notices with no substantiation. However, it's your responsibility to respond and show they're wrong. Complete bunk, but that's the way it is. Otherwise you find yourself in a situation where they just start taking your stuff; i.e. bank levies, wage garnishment, liens, foreclosures, asset seizure, etc...

You're going to have to push off the collections agency while you work with the tax department to show you don't owe the tax, or if you do to try and remove the interest and penalties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.