Great Barrington, MA asked in Real Estate Law for Connecticut

Q: My father left land to my brother and I and we've had it listed at a price that was too high to sell for nearly 2 years.

We need to relist it. My brother says that financially he doesn't need to sell it and wants to list it for a price that is $60,000 higher than the price it was already listed at. A new, potential listing agent has indicated it would be unlikely to sell it at such an exorbitant price and higher than it was listed originally. My brother has nothing to lose and wants to hold out for a huge price or just leave it to his kids. I am poor and need to sell it to have enough money to live on the profit. I am older and need to do this quickly, because I can't retire without the income. He won't budge, insisting he needs to get an unreasonable price for it. What options do I have, if any?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ellaretha Coleman

A: You may be able to file a partition action to get the court to order the sale of the property and distribution of the proceeds.

1 user found this answer helpful

Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You can file a "partition action" in the superior court. The court will most likely force the sale of the property at a reasonable price. You will need to retain an attorney who practices real estate litigation law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.