Asked in Divorce and Child Support for Nebraska

Q: Does my ex-husband's child support from his prior relationship loweroldest son turns 19 and does my raise for our 3

2 kids prior to our marriage he currently pays support. We have 3 he currently pays for. His oldest turned 19

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: There isn't generally an automatic increase in child support when the payor's older child emancipates. That being said, if a child support modification action was filed, the payor would generally no longer have that older child as credit for child support when recalculating support. Depending on the parties' incomes, a modification could result in an increase or decrease in child support. The child support guidelines changed effective January 1, 2020 resulting in significantly lower child support in many cases. Depending on the facts of your case, the loss of an older child as a child support credit may not necessarily mean the other parent's child support would increase.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.