Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Nebraska Child Support Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: My son pays child support to ex girlfriend for his 6 yr old daughter. My son id supposed to get his daughter fri-sun

He has only been able to get her like 5 hrs on Sunday, hes been allowed to keep her overnight only 2x. The mom always has excuses. She got married 4/5, and the daughter doesnt like the guy, and tells my son the he yells and hit her mommy. Two weeks ago she nmoved eith her new husband from a... Read more »

Julie Fowler answered on Jun 24, 2019

If a parent is granted court-ordered parenting time and the other parent is denying it, then the most common way to enforce the parenting time is to file a contempt action. To modify the custody order, the most common method is to file a complaint to modify action. This modification action has a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: For Nevada Lawyer. Can my husband's support order be lowered after we have our 2nd child?

Husband has another child that lives in Nevada and he was ordered to pay the minimum amount a month $100. Could he have his support lowered after we have our second child that is due this September? We live in Nebraska, I work and he is trying to get disability for his seizures so he stays at home.... Read more »

Julie Fowler answered on Jun 10, 2019

I don't practice in Nevada so I don't know have Nevada handles these. In Nebraska, the Nebraska Child Support Guidelines don't allow a reduction in child support for the reason of a subsequent child. Also, if a parent has alread been ordered the minimum order (in Nebraska it is generally $50),... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: obligated to pay ex's new wife for part of insurance premium she carries on our children?

My ex and I share joint legal/physical custody of our 2 kids. There is no child support exchanged. My ex's new wife carries the medical insurance on them as she already had a family plan in place so her premiums did not change. My ex is now wanting me to pay her for part of the premium. As I... Read more »

Julie Fowler answered on May 17, 2019

It depends on what your order states. If the order states that each party has to pay half of the insurance premiums, then depending on the wording of the order, a party could be responsible under the order for half the premiums through a new spouse's insurance. That being said, if there is no... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: I pay child support for my three kids and i filed my taxes and child support took my refund i called cse and they said

My kids wouldnt get the money because i owe the state so my question is if i owe the state why would cse give money from my paycheck to my kids if i owe the state

Julie Fowler answered on Apr 24, 2019

When a custodial parent receives certain types of public assistance (usually ADC/TANF) then the child support for the month is assigned to the State. This means that since the State is paying out cash grants to the custodial parent, the State becomes legally entitled to the child support ordered... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: my children are grown now but their father rarely paid child support. I just found out that I may be able to get that

amount now? how do I go about that?

Julie Fowler answered on Apr 1, 2019

If a party was court-ordered to pay child support and did not pay, you can generally still collect the back child support owed even after the children have emancipated. If you contact your local child support services office, they may be able to offer you enforcement/collection services for little... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: My husband is in backwards child support for his adult children and pays weekly. Now the receiving party died.

Does he still have to pay this case to the deceased parties? And yes it is child support owed and the interest fees.

Julie Fowler answered on Mar 23, 2019

In Nebraska, child support arrears are owed to the estate of the deceased. It is possible for the estate to continue to pursue collections of child support arrears. Sometimes they are pursued but often not.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: Can court proceedings of a child support in arrears be heard in probate court

My ex wife filed a claim in probate court for money that's owed by me in back support and she also included my sister in the claim. In their claim, in their I mean my ex wife and her attorney . As previously stated in their filing of the original claim her attorney made reference to my sister and... Read more »

Julie Fowler answered on Feb 9, 2019

When a person who owes back child support (payor) has the potential to inherit in a probate case, the person who is owed child support (payee) can file an action in the probate case. This is usually by filing a child support lien in the probate case. The money that the payor would inherit would... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: Can my child's father be indicted for not be present in the said childs life and be charged for child abandonment??

Child's father lives in a different state and has no part in said child's life. The only thing that connects the two is he signed the birth certificate.

Vanessa Jean Gorden answered on Jan 19, 2019

The terms you are using ("indictment" and "charged") do not really apply to paternity and parenting situations. If father signed a Notarized Acknowledgment of Paternity, that serves as a legal basis for paternity under Nebraska law. However, more must occur in the courts for him to have the... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: If i file for child support and father pays half of daycare expenses, does that come out of child support amount?

His dad pays half of the daycare each month right now but only has him 13% of the time. I am curious since i filed for child support, if he will still be obligated to pay daycare as well as full child support or if daycare expense is included in child support amount. Thank you!

Vanessa Jean Gorden answered on Jan 2, 2019

Child support is separate from daycare and medical expenses, it does not come out of the amount he will be required to pay. However, if paying child support and daycare would put the father under the poverty line, he would not be ordered to share the daycare costs. I hope this is helpful! Best!

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: The state took all the money From our account for my child support payments but it was my husband's money from SSI

The bank/NE took all the money from our account leaving us penniless for the entire month. I Am disabled now and have applied for SSDI, therefore I have no income of my own. They took his entire SSI check the day it came. I was only supposed to owe $75/month until it was paid according to NE... Read more »

Julie Fowler answered on Jun 30, 2018

Social security funds have rules that exempt them from most types of collection actions. When these funds are co-mingled in an another's account or joint account, it becomes more complicated. When a person's funds are frozen in a child support garnishment action, the person can request a hearing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: My daughter is 18 and is now living on her own and going to college why would I have to continue to pay child support?

Vanessa Jean Gorden answered on May 17, 2018

The age of majority in Nebraska is 19 years old. Even if your daughter is attending college, legally both parents are still responsible for her until she reaches the age of majority. However, if the former custodial parent is not providing support for her, you may wish to modify your support order... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: 19 yr old son attending college and support ended. How to I get child support for him since I am still supporting him?

Vanessa Jean Gorden answered on Apr 25, 2018

You cannot get support for your child from the other parent because he is a legal adult at the age of 19 and neither of you have any legal obligation whatsoever to support him through college. Some parents do and some don’t but it is not required by any law, with the possible exception of if you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: What rights does my babys dad have?

Me and my daughters dad have never been married and he is not on the birth certificate.

He has not financially helped with any of his daughters expenses while I was pregnant till now. My daughter is 8 months old now. He only visited 6 times total for no more then 3 hours spread out in... Read more »

Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Jul 27, 2017

Both parties have full rights to a child if not court order is in place. Since he is not on the birth certificate he would have to go to court and establish paternity before the court or police would all him any rights. The advantage to you is that the he could be order to pay support. The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: can i be arrested for non payment of arrears on my adult children?

Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Jul 24, 2017

No, but it may impact your credit rating. The court can hold a party in contempt and require a payment plan to remove the contempt. The fact that the children are adults would not cause a court to have a contempt hearing.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Support for Nebraska on

Q: My Son is 2b adopted by his SF. Got paper 2 sign in mail. Signing away rights is all thats mentioned? Still pay CS?

Since the papers only included my rights and mentioned nothing about my parental responsibilities in the paperwork does that mean I will still be responsible to pay future child support even after he is adopted? What happens to any back child support?

Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Apr 25, 2017

You will have to pay child support until the adoption is completed. You may also have to pay a $65 fee plus pay for service to get the CS stopped. You will continue to owe the back child support. My suggestion is you work with an attorney to help you and negotiate the terms so some of the prior... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.