Tucson, AZ asked in Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: What steps should I take when it comes to the safety of me and my children from my husband who has made home unbearable?

I recently had to call the police on my husband for pushing me off a ladder for standing up for our son. There is a police report filed, however he is back in the house and making threats to break our devices if he sees them, he has taken all of the chargers and my son has not been able to do his homework with the schools being closed because of him. I want to go to my parents in AZ but am being threatened with kidnapping just because and I just want us to be safe, if he is willing to push me, how long until he hits me? Would taking that police report and filing a restraining order the best option? I'm scared if I bring up divorce or anything along the lines he will hurt me or the children.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should know, that the Family Court is still open in every county it just might be held in a difference courthouse. Based upon what you are saying, you can go to family court and get an order of protection putting your husband out of the house or at least one that says he can't do anything bad to you or the children. If he violates the order he will be arrested.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.