Fort Worth, TX asked in Traffic Tickets and Constitutional Law for Oklahoma

Q: I was arrested in December they violated my 4th amendment by running my tag with out knowledge of me commitment a crime

Can I have a case against the police department

1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The question you present is not one that can simply be answered on a forum such as this. If you were arrested and no charges were filed, you could contact a civil rights attorney to review your case. If you were charged, you should hire (if you have not done so already) a criminal defense attorney. You do not reference the reason the officer provided for making the arrest. Police do not have to obtain permission from the driver or owner of a vehicle to enter information from the vehicle's license plate into the law enforcement databases. That being said, there may be additional facts from your arrest that an attorney can review and inform you whether you have a case worth pursuing against the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.