New York, NY asked in Social Security for New York

Q: If a child child over the age of 24 wants their birth certificate and social security card but their parent wont give it

Is that illegal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Perrigo
Steve Perrigo
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN

A: I don't think it is illegal per se, just not very kind or helpful. You can get replacements for both. Birth Certificates are through the state dept of health or bureau of vital statistics. Replacement SS cards are easily replaced by going into your local SSA field office with proper identification (unexpired drivers license). Note: all offices are currently closed due to Coronavirus.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.