Corpus Christi, TX asked in Child Custody and Criminal Law for Texas

Q: What are the consequences of a 16 year old girl running away to her biological mother who doesn’t have custody??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can get a certificated copy of your order and call the police and make a report. The could bring charges, but many times in Texas will not. You can take a copy of the order to the other parents house, call the police and demand turnover. If the child looks like she is over 18 and speaks well, and says I do not want to go, most police will only log the report. Thus, you remedy is to file a writ of Habeas Corpus and set that for a hearing in the court for which the final order is from. This is an order for turn over of the child, bring forth the body. The other side may file to modify that order and ask judge to confer with the child as to the child's desired preference on where she lives. Then judge will decide where the child gets to stay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.