Saint George, UT asked in Family Law, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: Our13 year old son (who we’ve adopted out of foster care at age 5) has raped our two daughters age 10 and 3.

He has been charged with 21 counts of rape and sodomy between the two victims. County attorney representing my daughters states he will most likely get 6 months or less of treatment/incarceration. He has already admitted to his crimes to police. County attorney is going to reduce charges to gain a plea deal. We are 1 1/2 weeks from pre-trial. I want a longer sentence for him. This feels like he’s getting away with life altering crime. I want him to turn his life around and 3-6 months in a treatment facility won’t do that. What can I do? How harshly can a 13 year old be punished for rape? Can I hire my own more aggressive lawyer to represent my daughters and get a longer punishment?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You can hire an attorney, in Utah victim's of crimes have a right to be heard. One thing you should know is that the juvenile justice system sentences offenders for different purposes that adults. In the District court, a criminal sentence is meant to serve retribution or punishment among other goals. In juvenile system, criminal sentences are meant to help the juvenile rehabilitate.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.