Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: My roommate continues to bring his girlfriend over to our house even though she has stolen from us. What can I do?

We've kicked her out before but she continues to come into our house. When we tell her to leave she directly ignores us and he continues to bring her here without our permission. She stole a gold necklace from our bathroom and caught her wearing it but we have no physical proof just what we've seen. I wanted to stand in the doorway when she comes and tell her she isn't allowed inside but not sure what the legal boundaries on this subject. Please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This isn't a family law problem. This is in the ball park of a landlord tenant or contract issue. You can't control who your roommate invites over. You can report the theft to the police if you think there is sufficient proof that the police will be able to pursue the complaint. You can move out. You can seek to evict your roommate. These last two suggestions bring up the issue of what type of lease or contract to your or your roommate have with the landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.