Las Vegas, NV asked in Tax Law for Nevada

Q: I haven't paid taxes in a while and looking to clear everything up. How do you do that?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

A: Find any tax documents you have in your possession.

Order Wage & Income and account transcripts from the IRS.

Draft and file the missing returns. Ask for forgiveness on any penalties.

Setup a payment plan for the amounts owed, if any.

May want to hire a professional, let me know if you want to chat.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

A: If you are suddenly repentant because you would like a $1,200 gift from Uncle Sam you might find out that the money it will cost to go back several years to try to play catch-up will exceed the $1,200--plus put you back on the IRS radar.

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: You should speak with a tax attorney first. You may end up doing yourself more harm then good. Most of us offer a free consultation. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on TV.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.