Republic, MO asked in Probate for Oklahoma

Q: In Oklahoma is there a time frame that a persons estate has to be closed? My uncle passed 8 years ago and the guardian

My uncle passed 8 years ago and the guardian won't close estate and will not give answers regarding estate. Can we go somewhere to see documents relating to status of property and monetary assets.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: The guardianship over your uncle ceased when he died. The guardian at that point should have filed a Final Account and request to formally terminate the guardianship. If the guardian did not do so, they may be held to account and possibly to pay damages for any property that has have not been passed down according to your uncle's will or trust or by law. If your uncle had a trust, you can demand an accounting if you were a beneficiary or proof that you were not a beneficiary.

If a probate case has been started (check first the county where your uncle died or where he resided), the papers in the court file are public record and are available online at

Contact an experienced Oklahoma probate lawyer about the specifics of your uncle's situation. Many offer free initial consultations. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.