Bessemer, AL asked in Divorce and Military Law for Alabama

Q: Q: I am married for 12 years in June 2020. My name is not on the deed and it is heir property left to my husband.

What are my rights in a divorce settlement? He is a retired military also. There are no children. Thanks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If the property was used for the common benefit of the parties during the marriage you have a right to that property as divisible marital property. If he inherited it and you never used it as a married couple, it is not part of the marital property. If he inherited it and you did use it for the common benefit of the parties during the marriage then it is divisible property and you have a right to it in a divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.