Saint Augustine, FL asked in Tax Law for Florida

Q: My husband has retroactive child support & has payment plan set up. Can the gov. Take our stimulus ck for our kids?

Also, can they take my portion of the stimulus check if I file as disabled spouse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If he has a payment plan set up and is keeping up with the payments per the plan, the government should not take your check. If for some reason your income tax or any such funds specifically distributed by the IRS is taken away, you can file an injured spouse form to get the amount that is apportioned to you. Please check with your accountant or have a consultation with a local tax attorney. Best of luck to you and your family!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.