Norwood, MA asked in Copyright and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Massachusetts

Q: Would I be the "Sole Rights Holder of the material?" It's my video of a comedy show I taped with permission of the club?

I recently discovered a vhs tape of a stand-up comedy shot that I shot in 1993 at a Comedy Club. I was given permission by the comedy club to tape it as I was one of the comedians performing that night. I recently viewed the video again for the first time in almost 30 years....and 2 of the comedians who performed as well that evening went on to achieve some pretty significant success in both Stand-Up and Film. One of them has since passed away. Somebody approached me about the possibility of obtaining footage of that his stand-up comedy performance from 1993 which I have on my VHS tape. I was asked if I was the "Sole Rights Holder "of the material and.....I have no idea. Hoping somebody can share a little insight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 Lawyer Answer
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ

A: Very likely you are not. It is very possible the people in the video have some rights over the video.

You may have to reach out to the people live or their estate and get permission from them.

You should consult with an attorney, and also talk with an insurance company that specializes in copyright claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.