Raleigh, NC asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: Can my property manager amend our contract to require a commission on the sale of our home?

I own a home in Raleigh NC. In March I hired a property manager to begin renting the home out. This week they told us they found a qualified tenant but before they allow the tenant to sign the lease they want to amend our contract with them which would entitle them to a 2 % commission on the sale of our home to “any person or potential tenant or current/former tenant that were contacted or provided” by the property manager. It also specifies that the only service being performed is “providing the buyer and/or seller connection”. Do we have to sign this? They are saying it’s mandatory. Would we be entitled to getting our money back if they terminate our contract?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: No, you do not have to sign an amendment unless you are willing to change the terms of your original contract. They should proceed with the lease with the tenant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.