Duson, LA asked in Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Louisiana

Q: Hello! I have an expired medical judgement in the state of Louisiana. It was never renewed or any collections attempts.

Hello! I have a question about expired judgements. I have an expired judgement in the state of Louisiana. It was never renewed and no collection attempts. It was 15 years ago. I am attempting to purchase a home this year and want to know if expired judgements will affect the home buying process and if so what is required to be on file for expired judgments for it not to affect home buying. Thank you for any help.

2 Lawyer Answers

A: If the judgment is over 10 years old and was not reinscribed then you can file an affidavit with the clerks office to have the judgment cancelled. Our office handles residential closings and have handled similar issues with no problem.

1 user found this answer helpful

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can hire an attorney to file to have it annulled for abandonment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.