Miami, FL asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Probate for Florida

Q: My mother apparently auto accident claim that has been settled, my father is still alive. They set up probate though?

My mother apparently auto accident claim that has been settled, my father is still alive. They set up probate though? They weren’t able to reach him because number had changed. I have power of attorney over father since dx of Alzheimer’s. What should I know?

2 Lawyer Answers
Spencer Aronfeld,
Spencer Aronfeld,
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: That’s a complex question. Was there a law suit filed? Is your mom still alive? Do you live in Florida? You need to consult with an experienced probate and a personal injury attorney quickly. Get all the paper work together, police report, insurance information etc.

Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Probate Lawyer

A: Contact the probate office in your county. Because you have a power of Attorney over your father you may petition the court for letters of administration and distribute the funds to you and your siblings

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.