Newark, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: I want to register my friend and his wife as my co-renters in an one bedroom apartment I live in. Florida

The owner of the apartment is okay. But association says that I cannot sublease the apartment.

Although I told them that they will go through the whole process of background check.

By the rules of the building I am allowed to have up to 3 residents in a one bedroom apartment.

I do this because I had to stop my business and now I will be traveling a lot in between states due to another business. And I to be able to pay my rent I decided to share my apartment.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Snyder
Jeffrey Snyder
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I suppose see if your landlord will agree to release you from the original lease and sign a new lease with all of you on it, or see if the current lease can be amended. Regardless, you are asking for trouble with the HOA by doing anything to add them onto the lease. I suggest you take a copy of your current lease and the hoa docs to a real estate attorney for review and advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.