Irvine, CA asked in Workers' Compensation for California

Q: What should I do about a separation letter,

I quit my job on March 30, 2020. I work remotely from home per owners request. I have worked for 7 years for a small construction company in Lafayette CA. He told me when I first started that since I didn't work 40 hours a week I was not entitled to OT pay. I found out recently the was not true. He also had a law suit from a client and said it was my fault for not getting subcontracts signed in 2015 when the job was going on. He forced me to back date contracts and get subs to sign. He made me bill clients for money not due them. He received refunds from city on client bonds and would not let me notify client. I quit recently as I am not being blamed for all of his illegal practices. Even made me fire an employee on the books and re-hire same employee with different ID's. He has EDD audits for this as well. He wants to pay me off with $5000 to not ever report or say anything. He still owes me $11,292 in over time. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald Mahurin
Ronald Mahurin
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Point Arena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is not workers compensation, but something entirely different. You have essentially admitted to multiple felonies and now want to find a way to get money from your employer. I think you need to start again under employment law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.