Chicago, IL asked in Employment Discrimination for Kentucky

Q: Can a cop make you tell your boss about a situation that happened after work to get you fired?

I went to dollar general and I unintentionally walked out with merchandise that I didnt pay for. When I got home I was missing a few things I did pay for& asked them to watch the cameras. After I hung up I saw the merchandise that I didnt pay for and tried to call back they wouldnt pick up it was at closing time.

I used to work there, and these things happen so I figured that I would take care of it in the morning. I work at save a lot. So I get up late and go in to work an officer came in to question and give me a situation for theft however I was accused of taking more then I did but after, he walked me back into my job and to the office with the manger and had me tell what and why he was there This left me jobless I feel as though the officer was my judge, jury, and executioner..

I'm willing to take responsibility for what I did, it was less then $40.00 and yes I made a mistake. But I have a family and this on my record I'll not get a job. I worked @the DG and left on a bad note.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You always have the right to remain silent. You should hire a criminal defense attorney and you may be able to get it diverted or dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.