Logan, OH asked in Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Mother signed over custody of her son to the Father.Now the mother wants visitation rights. Is this possible?

The Mother has been out of the child's life for 6 years and in and out of jail. The Father has steady job and provides for the child in a stable home and does not want the Mother in his life. Will the courts allow

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Xenia, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The true answer is: it depends.

The mother has the legal right to petition a court asking that she be granted visitation with the child. The court will then evaluate the statutory "best interest" factors to determine if it is in the child's best interest to provide the mother with visitation. The court might award visitation, it might not. That will depend on the evidence and testimony.

Visitation also comes in many forms. If the mother has a criminal history and no relationship with the child for years, even if she was granted visitation the court may find that short, supervised visits at a neutral location are appropriate instead of giving her time alone with the child.

I suggest contacting a family law attorney to discuss your options.

Nicholas P. Weiss agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.