Charlotte, NC asked in Civil Litigation, Collections, Domestic Violence and Small Claims for North Carolina

Q: Can my ex take me to a collection agency for this?

My (now) ex and I share the same phone plan. It is under his name and he pays for it. I used to just give him my half every month. Now that we are broken up, I blocked him on everything. I am figuring out getting my own phone plan but there is technically still money that I owe him to date. Surprisingly he has not cut off my service... I want to know if he may be planning something more vicious. Can he send me to collections over this? I read an article about a woman who refused a second date with a man, and he mailed her an invoice for her half of the dinner bill, threatening to take her to collections. Is this valid/legal? Should I be prepared for it? He is incredibly vindictive.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you had agreement that you would pay half of the bill, then yes, he can seek to collect from you. Given the amount, he would probably file an action in small claims.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.