Laurel, MD asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maryland

Q: My son has a child out of wedlock and the child has been living with him for three years does he have custody

The mother lived with me and my husband for a 1 1/2 years with my son and the baby and then they all moved out for a year and then my son came back with my grandson and been living with us for 3 yrs now. Does he have custody or can she just take him because she want her daughter to be raise with my grandson.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Without a court order, both parents have equal custody. The mother could take the child to live with her. The best solution when the parents are no longer living together is to either reach a written agreement regarding custody that is then entered as a court order or file for custody with the court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.