Chicago, IL asked in Civil Rights for Illinois

Q: I am looking for a cival rights lawyer for federal court

I'm needing an attorney for my boyfriend civil suit in federal court. It is against an officer at the Vermilion county jail in danville illinois. My boyfriend is incarcerated there.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andy Hale
Andy Hale
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello:

I would be happy to learn more about your boyfriend's situation. When someone is detained at jail or sent to prison, they may lose their freedom, but they do not lose their civil rights. For example, prisons and corrections officers have a legal obligation to keep prisoners reasonably safe. When they fail to do so, they can be held liable. Inmates have a constitutional right not to be subjected to excessive force by law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties. Inmates may also bring a constitutional claim for inadequate medical care where prison officials exercise a "deliberate indifference" to serious medical needs. Examples of prisoner abuse include: physical abuse; sexual abuse; psychological and emotional abuse; deprivation of food and water; refusal to provide medical or psychiatric care; failure to protect inmates from others; failure to prevent suicide; unconstitutional conditions of confinement; racial discrimination; religious discrimination; and retaliation/punishment for expressing or reporting inadequate prison facilities or treatment. Hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.