Belleville, IL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Maine

Q: My daughter is 16 and has a guardian, but she wants to move back to illinois with her bio family. Does she need consent?

She lives in Maine with my ex mother in law. Shes lived with her for 11 years, but has no biological relation. All of my daughters family is in Illinois and she wants to be with them. Her guardian will not let her move back or even visit. What can she do? Does she have any rights or say in where she lives?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Guillory
Robert Guillory
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Saco, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: your question raises several questions. When you say move back with bio family what does that mean? Her parents or a parent? When you say she has a guardian was this done in probate court in Maine? if so then a parent or some other family member could file a petition to terminate the guardianship. You would have to look at the reasons the guardianship was granted in the first place and see if those reasons remain valid today. Another option would be she could file a petition for emancipation. Also was there a court order in a divorce or family matters proceeding? If the guardianship was terminated then the court order in the divorce or family matter would govern and so you might want to change that as well. You should call a family law attorney in the area of where the guardianship was entered or where your daughter is living.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.