Ridley Park, PA asked in Family Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania

Q: My ex-wife continued to collect and sign my ssi benefits for 10 months while I was incarcerated - what charges for her

What kind of charges can I file against her? She is now withholding my Stimulus Money because she also signed my name to her tax return and the bank account it was deposited into is hers. We have been seperated since Dec. 1, 2017.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: My first question to you is - is she actually your ex-wife? Are you divorced? If so, and she did all this after your divorce, she's got some legal issues. If you're not actually divorced, she may claim that you instructed her to file a joint tax return. On the SSI checks, I'm wondering why you personally were receiving SSI while incarcerated because you should not have been. However if you were still married she may have been entitled to benefits as would any children you might have. The stimulus check would be yours, perhaps because she filed that tax return you're bothered by So, what to do? I'd suggest that you ask her to send you your share of the stimulus check. Politely. In writing. And try to contact an attorney who you can possibly have a phone consultation with during the shut-down or wait until the lawyers are permitted to open their offices.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.