Pennsylvania Identity Theft Questions & Answers

Q: My son bought a purebred English lab Jun16,2018 she was 8wks old. Very smart. Got along with my American Staffordshire.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 3, 2018
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
I suggest that you go to your local district court and file a civil complaint, seeking return of your dog.

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need, ex wife recently used a credit card in my name that was supposed to be closed.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 24, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
Initially, you should call the police and make a report. They'll investigate and determine whether or not to file criminal charges against her. Police activity is what the creditor will want to see to remove this account from your name, and to get it removed from your credit report. If it's determined that you did not open the account, you won't be responsible for it. Best of luck to you.

Q: I am being accused of using another person's bank account to pay two credit cards. What charges can come from that?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 8, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
Typically, fraudulent use of another's bank account without his/her permission could carry charges like: forgery; access device fraud; identity theft; theft by unlawful taking; theft by deception; and/or receiving stolen property. The grading of the offenses (felony, misdemeanor, etc.) depends on the amount of money taken -- although forgery is usually a felony anyway.

Q: If my husband Put 24000.00 on MY name only card and now is 2 months behind on payments what are my options Thank you

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 5, 2018
Zak Taylor Goldstein's answer
You could report him to the police or sue him. That is enough money that you may want to consult with a family lawyer. The police probably will not be interested because it is your husband.

Q: I asked for the discovery to my federal case and was told I couldn't get it.what can I do to get it?i have my adictment

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 25, 2018
NiaLena Caravasos' answer
There may be a protective order in your case, which could explain why you cannot have and/or see your discovery. However, you will need to know what the evidence is against you in order to make proper decisions in your case, so you can certainly ask your lawyer when she/he will be able to discuss it with you.

Q: I accessed my exes fb and email acts using passwords he gave me when we were together. I live in pa him in de. Illegal?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jan 16, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
I believe not as he could have changed them and chose not to.

Q: my brother stole my identity when pulled over for speeding. I have 4 point on my license that I am trying to get remove.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 25, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Talk to the DA's office Victim Assistance Coordinator. You should be able to contest the assignment of points with Penndot and presumably any sentence of your brother should require he give a statement or affidavit that he was the driver and presented your ID.

Q: Responsible for a student loan without a proof as a co-signer

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Consumer Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 19, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
First, consult a consumer lawyer. Go to If he gets called write down who the person is, time, date, exactly what they say. He should send a letter certified return receipt disputing the debt. If he didn't sign he isn't a co signer.

Next step is to file a complaint with the consumer division of the AG's office her and in New York. No bank should allow them to deduct anything unless they obtain a judgment. Worst case? He declares bankruptcy and tells them to stuff it.

Q: I had 1 checking acct, savings acct, and an IRA opened using my personal information, all unauthorized & without consent

2 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 17, 2013
Rachel Lea Hunter's answer
File a police report. Financial identity fraud is a crime. The person who did this can be prosecuted so if its your son's dad, then he may go off to jail.

Follow the directions for fact sheet 17a at You can also sue the son's dad as well as the organizations to the extent they were also culpable in this. If the son's dad did this without the bank's knowledge, then the bank may not be liable. Your son's dad will be fired.

The IRA would be with a separate...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.