Fairfield, CT asked in Estate Planning and Collections for Connecticut

Q: I am Conservator for my adult son. Can I be held liable for any of my son's unpaid bills?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Westport, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: A conservator is a person appointed by the Probate Court to oversee or handle the financial or personal affairs of an adult. Connecticut recognizes two types of conservators. A Conservator of the Person supervises or manages the conserved person’s personal affairs and ensures that the person's basic needs are met. A Conservator of the Estate supervises or manages the financial affairs of the conserved person, including caring for property, managing bank accounts and ensuring the safe handling of the person's income. The Connecticut Standards of Practice for Conservators outlines the duties of a conservator, as well as the ethical principles and considerations that a conservator must abide by when fulfilling his duties. While a conservator has an obligation to competently supervise the financial affairs of the conserved person, including managing any expenses or debts the conserved person may have and/or not incurring unnecessary debts in the conserved person’s name, a conservator generally is not personally responsible for a conserved person’s debt unless he has co-signed or otherwise jointly incurred the debt

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.