Southaven, MS asked in Child Custody and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: Back in 2012 i signed a document between me and my parents for them to have temporary custody of my son and had it

Notarized, this was not done through the court system at all, my son has been living with me since 2014 i asked them multiple times to sign him back over but they never would now that i have chosen to move out of state the have decided to pull the temporary customer agreement back out an say that i cannot take my son with me, he is 8 years old, how can i revoke the temporary agreement, i hve his insurance in my name ive had him on every lease, i have been the one that has signed him up for school every year. I just need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Although your question doesn't state where the agreement was entered into, I assume that it was done in South Carolina. Because your agreement was never court approved, it is not enforceable as a custody order. It would merely convey to your parents the authority to obtain medical care for your child and to enroll him in school. Your parents don't need to "sign him back over". You may wish to send your parents a letter revoking the agreement and keep a copy for your records.

Ryan D Templeton agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.