Steubenville, OH asked in Child Custody for Ohio

Q: My husband and his sons mother are having a custody battle since feb.

Feb. First seen something was up just by how she was acting and then she got pulled over for having a bunch of drugs a scale and even counterfeit money. I didn't think she was doing this bad but we ordered a drug test and she failed with crack cocaine weed and meth. Also our court date was supposed to be this month they moved it until June. My question is what is next for us and my step son I am worried with this pandemic we have to keep sending him but it breaks my heart she is on this stuff and we still have to send him. Also I have read i have no rights at all unless I adopt him . How true is that on if I have any say . Also will there be a chance I'll get called in to tell my side of things since I was the one to always pick my step sons up and drpp him off before all of this or am I just not being apart of this qnd its just between my husband and her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your husband should retain a local family law attorney to represent him in the custody proceedings. If your husband does not allow the child's mother to have parenting time, then she could file to have your husband held in contempt. He would then explain to the judge that because of her drug use, it was not safe to leave the child in her care. The judge would decide if that was in the best interest of the child. Your husband should retain an attorney and discuss all that with the attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.