Atlanta, GA asked in Estate Planning, Probate and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My grandmother in Puerto Rico has passed and I need assistance probating her estate I have her testament

My grandmother was murdered 2 weeks ago I was finally able to bury her yesterday. I have her testament and would like to know what my next steps are. I am here in Puerto Rico now but I live in Atlanta, GA. I need an attorney here who will help me probate this estate, access her accounts and sell my home because the law here is very confusing

2 Lawyer Answers
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Dear reader,

For the process you will need to request a certification to grant that the Will was the last one and hasn’t been modified. Before you can divide the estate or goods, you will need to fill some documents with the Treasury Department in Puerto Rico so the can give you the release to distribute the estate.

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. My sincero condolances

You Will need to contract the services of an Attorney in Puerto Rico for said process. The Attorney Will do the entire Probate of the Testament, filing Inheritance Tax Return and having said Testament executed.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.