Birmingham, AL asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: I am 16 and my step dad and I got in to it. Neither of us had any marks or injuries. My Mom then put a camera in my face

I took the phone out of her hand and put it on the counter. She then came after me. Not once did I hit, grab or push her. They called the police and they told my that I am being charged with domestic violence and harassment. I don't know what's going to happen, and obviously my parents aren't here to help me understand what is going to happen. I have never been in trouble with the police or anyone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Since you are a juvenile that’s how you will be charged, as a juvenile. Ask for a consent decree since it’s the first time you’ve been in trouble. A consent decree means you consent to being on probation and once you are through with probation the charge just goes away. If you have some parents that insist on you pleading then the worse that will happen is, you will be adjudicated delinquent and sentenced to six months to a year. You will probably not go to Department of Youth Services, but you can if you flunk out on probation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.