Muncie, IN asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Indiana

Q: if i wanted to file a lawsuit against a medical provider for refusing service to me. How can I?

I went to this provider and stated that I had pain in a particular area of my body. He roughly and unexpectedly tapped the area with his instrument causing immediate pain to me and I reacted by coming up out of my seated position, to the Dr.'s alarm. I immediately and angrily said to him "Hey man, I told you and showed you which area was hurting, so what in the hell are you doing? I'm going to get the hell out of here and find some competent service", and left the facility. At one point I appealed and they denied me again for what they deemed "unacceptable behavior". Years have passed and they just a few days ago denied me service again for the same reason. This is not a private medical facility and they treat primarily poor and indigent patients. I fit the poor description. This is the only place that would take my insurance and since I cant afford the necessary services they offer anywhere else, my condition has worsened since the initial incident because I still need the services

1 Lawyer Answer
James Avery
James Avery
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You have to start by filing a complaint with the Commissioner of Insurance. Go to the website to get the particulars.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.