Austin, TX asked in Medical Malpractice for Texas

Q: Is it legal hospital billing to suggest you pay good faith payments on your medical bill?

While asking about financial assistance procedures, I asked if the bill would go to collections before they made a assistance decision. They said just make good faith payments until they decide. Does billing have the authority to halt collections from damaging your credit rating?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: As a general matter, hospital billing departments do have authority to call off collection actions. They have final say in choosing to vigorously pursue an account, or write it off and close it. But if they already turned the account over to a collection agency or attorney, the impact on credit rating could depend on what those entities did. If the matter is still in the early stages of confronting you on a bill before they turn it over to collections, ask them if they would give you a little breathing space in terms of what options the hospital's social workers might be able to come up with for you. It could be difficult to reach them with the current crisis. But sometimes social workers could look public insurance coverage IF that might be an option and your finances warrant. Keep your line of communication open. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.