Saginaw, MI asked in Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: can my spouse cut me off of my accounts for money? Amidst travel during covid, he left me with no means to survive

We have been separated for years but been very cordial unless/until he dates this women years younger then him, then he starts spending everything he makes. I’m a stay at home mother to 16 year old triplets. I never spent any money on myself from accounts, only for bills and kids. I was traveling at start of covid-19, two trips back to back. Out of nowhere, he’s going to start paying bills and allegedly leave me money for myself. That never happened because right from the start of that, I had bills linked to our account and the first two decreased deposits paid automatically bills via internet. When it was all covered and paid, I should have got 2 deposits (he’s paid weekly) he immediately withdrew those as well as the next one. I have been left .37 cents in my checking and $1.02 in savings. I borrowed money from friend. He’s filed the past 4,years married/joint and knowing I have no money, he also got the stimulus check, with the additional $1,200 for spouse. I have $1.38 to my name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kent Wood II
Kent Wood II
  • Lansing, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you are a named account holder, no one can take your name off the account without your permission. BUT, any account holder can empty the account and then take their name off the account or just stop making deposits to the account.

It is difficult when it is "from out of nowhere" like it seems in your circumstances.

I definitely advise reaching out to an attorney for help getting this process started. It is possible to have a child support order in place without getting divorced, but that is an unique process that most individuals would need help to accomplish. I have seen this take up to two months just to start getting payments - back payments would be due - so please don't wait to take action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.