Plainfield, IN asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: I am the petitioner while filling for an uncontested divorce. Do I use my maiden name or my husbands' last name?

I am unsure how to properly fill out several sections of the documents required, such as the summons and divorce decree section. I would love some assistance so that it is done properly before I submit it to my county courthouse.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: You need to use whatever your legal last name is at this time. Also, I would highly recommend that you seek assistance from an experienced divorce attorney. While the courts do allow parties to go through this process without representation, generally this is not DIY territory.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.