Gulfport, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: What are my options if I haven't reported to Felony Probation since 2016?

I was released from prison in November of 2014, I was supposed to be on probation for two years. I have not reported since April 2016. I have not had any kind of communication whatsoever since 2016. I have stayed completely out of trouble, no new charges at all. I have just been assuming that I had an active warrant, but I was pulled over last month and nothing. I would like to get this all taken care of and I am just wondering what my best course of action would be.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Stewart
Kevin Stewart
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Flowood, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Just because you were stopped and not arrested does not necessarily mean there is not a warrant for your arrest. The officer may not have checked, the system may have been down, or a number of other issues. If you failed to fulfill your obligations for probation, it will be the probation officers decision if they wanted to inform the court and seek to violation you. I would advise contacting the probation officer and seeing if there is anything that you need to do. It may result in a difficult situation, but it will certainly be better than "looking over your shoulder" the rest of your life.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.