Nanticoke, PA asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What do I need to do to receive my Stimulus if my ex wife received it?

My ex wife and I filed our taxes jointly in 2019 despite going through an amicable divorce that was effective 01/14/2020.

She received my stimulus and did forward it to me, reluctantly, indicating she wanted her stimulus and some of mine. There are talks of possible additional stimulus checks and in the event that there are, I am anticipating more shenanigans by my ex.

Is there a way to update the direct deposit information such that it accurately reflects my bank account for my stimulus portion? If she does receive a future stimulus check, based on the 2019 tax direct deposit information, and refuses to send all or only a portion of the stimulus, what can I do?

There are no child support or spousal support orders in place, just FYI

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You were not married when she received the check, one half of which belongs to you because of your marriage during 2019. You need to work it out with her and let her know that you are legally entitled to ½ of the money. Probably, it is not worth to ask attorney to write a letter to her. I hope this helps. Good luck. Zaher Fallahi, Esq, CPA (CA &D.C.).

Disclaimer: This is for information purposes, not intended for, and may not be construed, as legal or tax advice. For specific advice please consult your legal counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.