Brandon, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: Will UMMC hire me with a felony? It’s not a disqualifying felony. It happened over 4 years ago. I went back to school.

Went back to school and graduated with a degree in Surgical Technology. Have been in NO trouble since. I actually volunteer in the community with one of the transplant surgeons who works at UMMC. Any advice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Stewart
Kevin Stewart
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Flowood, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: UMMC will have their own policies and procedures concerning employment matters. When applying for the position, I would certainly disclose the conviction and attempt to provide them with an explanation of the events and/or what you have done subsequent to the conviction to turn your life around.

Also, depending on the nature of the offense, you may be eligible to have the conviction expunged. The expungement, if you qualify, usually has a five year waiting period from completion of the last court imposed conditions. I would definitely keep this option in mind as time continues to pass.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.