Indianapolis, IN asked in Adoption and Juvenile Law for Indiana

Q: Can a 14 year old girl runaway from home and not get in trouble?

I’m 14 years old That lives in Indiana and I don’t want to live with parents anymore. They mentally abuse me. They control my life and don’t let me express myself. They always shut me down and always threaten me that they will hit me. I’m tired of waking up everyday and hearing they yell at me for no reason. I have depression and when I try to talk to them like I said they tear me down by always bringing me down. I have one friend that her mom wants to adopt me but my parents won’t allow it. All I want to say is can I runaway without getting into big trouble.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel D. Hand
Joel D. Hand
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: The short answer is “No”. You cannot run away from home without running the risk that you will find yourself in juvenile court for a juvenile delinquency matter. You could be placed on juvenile probation and have many consequences imposed by the judge.

However, you really should reach out to your school counselor, a teacher, pastor or some other adult to express your concerns for your safety and wellbeing. If you are being subjected to abuse or neglect by anyone, the Department of Child Services can conduct an investigation and can take action to protect you. 1-800-800-5556 is the hotline number to report abuse or neglect. Every person in the State of Indiana has a legal obligation to report suspected abuse or neglect of a child.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.